16.5.12

Blog Love: The Siren of Mod

A little while ago I stumbled upon a lovely blog called The Siren of Mod, which quickly became a new favourite of mine. the Siren of Mod is run by California girl, Selena, who has a knack for mixing prints and piling on edgy accessories (who doesn't love accessory overload?). I'm obsessed with her effortlessly cool look and, of course, her colourful hair! I was lucky enough to have her answer a few quick questions for me! Read on for more...

1. How old are you? Where are you from? Do you have any hobbies besides fashion? Tell me a bit about yourself!

I am 27, and I was born and raised in San Diego. I've lived in SD county my entire life with the exception of the three years I left after high school to attend college in Santa Barbara. I came back and finished college here, and haven't thought about moving out of the area again until somewhat recently (seeking to be an LA resident someday soon). I don't have very many hobbies, so of the few that I do have, I'm very absorbed in them. I love to cook and learn new recipes, I collect mid-century antiques and thrift like CRAZY (obvious?) and spend quite a bit of time at the beach. I'm not much of a drinker (anymore! ha) so pretty much all of my free time that I have goes to those things.

2. How did you first become interested in fashion blogging and just fashion in general?

As are most people interested in fashion, I've been focused on it from a pretty young age. In particular, I've been thrifting since sometime in middle school when I realized that the clothes I wanted to wear couldn't be found at Contempo Casuals. The first fashion blog I became enamored with was The Haute Pursuit sometime back in 2008, I believe?

3. Who are a few of your favourite style bloggers? Who do you think deserves more attention?
I don't follow THP very much anymore. In the last year I've become an ardent follower of Vintage Virgin, Jean Greige, Shevah, Lightdrivesmysoul and Beneath the Glass. And even in the last few months or so, I am finding more and more incredibly stylish and charming bloggers that have been added to my favorites. ;) I think that Isabel of I Fly A Starship is definitely worthy of more attention. I wouldn't be surprised if she blows up.

4. What are some of your favourite trends, currently?

My favorite trends aren't so much "trendy" as they are more nonconformist, but are common within a certain group/style. For example: the 90's for one, chelsea boots, overalls, bindis, Easter egg-colored lipstick (that Limecrime shit is the shit), afghan necklaces and tie-dye/bleached/dip-dyed everything. Oh and velvet. I can't quite get across what about them appeals to me by listing them all out because it's much more about how it's worn that attracts me.

5. Who are your style icons?

Style icons - that's a hard one because there are SO many and I'm all over the map. If I had to pick a few: Robert Plant, Janis Joplin, Joan Jett, Johnny Rotten, Gwen Stefani (only from her early No Doubt days) and Patti Smith. They're all musicians and yes, sometimes I wanna dress like the boys do. 



Thanks again, Selena! Don't forget to check out The Siren of Mod!

8 comments:

  1. She has amazing style!
    Thanks for introducing your readers to her :)

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her blog as well and have been following her for awhile now! Love this little interview with her. :)

    xo
    Maddie
    http://littlestylebird.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selena's my girl!! Love her to pieces, she's got wicked style!

    Beneath the Glass

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so awesome and i want to look up all the blogs she mentioned besides the few i already follow. Love her style so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bleached shirt she is wearing in first photo. It would make such a great DIY project. Thanks for introducing her to me!


    http://prudenceandaustere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having met her in person, I can say that she's so fun to spend time with! Her style is so fun and unique! She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i will never ever get over the dip-dyed look. ever. i would kill to look like them on a daily basis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this girl, so pleased I came across this while blog stalking. Will definitely be checking her blog out! Thanks!

    http://spotsandspikes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your wonderful comments! I appreciate them and they make me smile!

share